Like Sonic the Hedgehog 1, there exists a well-known debug mode that's similar to Sonic 1. To enable it, you have to do the following:
- Go into the Options mode.
- In the Sound Test, press "C" at the following numbers in order: 19, 65, 09, 17. This accesses the Level Select.
- In the Level Select sound test, press "C" at the following numbers in order: 01, 09, 09, 02, 01, 01, 02, 04.
- Choose any level, then hold "A" and press "Start. Hold "A" until the level fully loads.
From here, you have access to a variety of things:
- Infinite Time
- Debug Coordinates (In place of score)
- Sprite Counter (In place of time)
- Placement Mode (See below for details)
- Pause Options
- Press "A" to go back to the title screen.
- Press "B" to enable slow motion.
- Press "C" to enable frame advance.
Press "B" to enter placement mode. From there...
- Press "A" to move forward one object.
- Hold "A" and press "C" to move backward one object.
- Press "C" to place the object.
In addition, if you die by running into an enemy or falling into a pit, press "B" to enter placement mode, and then press "B" at a safe spot to revive yourself. However, trying to place an object in this death state will freeze the game.